Please print out and use this list as a guide to the things you need for your new baby.
- car seat for newborns
- pram or pushchair, designed for newborns. Pushchairs are only suitable for young babies if they have fully reclining seats which let the baby lie flat.
- raincover for your pram or pushchair
- baby carrier(also called slings). These are attached with straps and your baby is carried in front or behind you.
- crib, carry cot or Moses basket, with a firm mattress
- bedding – 4 sheets (cut down larger sheets or buy special crib/basket ones) and 2 lightweight blankets
- Baby bath (Any large, clean bowl will do as long as it’s not metal. (We used a washing up bowl – our baby loved it) Or you can always use the sink, but remember to wrap a towel round the taps for safety.
- 2 Soft flannels
- 2 Soft towels (with hood if preferred)
- Mild “Baby bath” solution
- Baby hair brush and comb
- Baby massage oil
- Cotton wool balls
- Bath thermometer (optional)
- Two towels, the softer the better.
There’s no need for special baby towels, unless you want them, but keep the towels for your baby’s use only.
- Reusable nappies
- Cloth nappies
- nappy pins;
- nappy liners
- plastic pants – about four pairs,
- either tie-on or elasticated.
- a bucket with a lid
- nappy sterilising powder or liquid
- 2 pkts Newborn size
- Wipes, or cotton wool
- cotton wool
- a plastic changing mat;
- baby lotion or baby wipes – you can use plain cool water in the house but wipes are handy when you are out
- a bag to carry all the nappy-changing equipment when you go out.
- Comfortable chair for night-time feeding
- You may find a V shaped cushion comfy when feeding
- Breast pads
- Nursing bras
- six bottles with teats and caps
- sterilising equipment;
- a bottle brush;
- infant formula milk – (check the sell by date if you are buying this in advance)
You won’t know for certain what size to buy before you baby is born. However she will grow into any that are too big, and you can send someone out to the shop to buy smaller ones if needed
- six baby gros for both day and night
- two cardigans, wool or cotton rather than nylon, light rather than heavy – several light layers of clothing are best for warmth;
- four vests;
- a shawl or blanket
- a woolly or cotton hat, mittens, socks or bootees for going out if the weather is cold –
- a sun hat for going out if the weather is hot or the sun is bright.
Washing baby clothes
- If you use a washing machine, don’t use enzyme (bio) powders, as they may irritate your baby’s skin.
- Always rinse very thoroughly.
- Fabric softener may also cause a skin reaction.
- Digital thermometer
- Pacifiers /dummies
- Sun shades for the car window
Other related articles